Thursday, March 10, 2011

altering myself to be more attractive;


I've been on a long journey with this whole body image concept. However, this project is always what i envisioned. It's very personal but I have no shame in it. I think its a good portrayal of how girls will do anything to themselves to seem more attractive. Even go as far as to alter things that really don't need to be altered.. 

The photo's supposed to be some sort of before and after. Before with all the plastic surgery lines and what not, and after what I would ideally look like.
Its all about self concept and the equation of beauty. which is why in the background i threw in equations. also in the back are tons of body diagrams of perfect "body measurements". as well as the scribble representing the chaos and frustration.

this was a lot of editing, which is why i only produced one. selecting, erasing, and most importantly LIQUIFYING. 

4 comments:

  1. 1) I really liked this. Its a good concept and I loved the way you portrayed it - it has kind of the "OCD vibe" that comes with trying to achieve perfection.

    2) This relates so much to the real world and reminds me of all of the self-consciousness that people complain about.

    3) The concept itself is so cool. I love the blueprint-ish background. I love the line across the eyes, because it shows how people de-humanize themselves. The only suggestion I would have is the scribbles in the corner - I like them, but the fact they're dark draws the eye more towards that corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1)I like that you covered your eyes it almost takes your identity and makes you seem more like a manequin and less like an individual person. And with the social pressures in life we do see girls taking away their own identities.
    2)Judith I really like this! I totally get what you mean about girls doing whatever they can to become more beautiful.
    3)I really like that you made the background interesting and busy instead of a simple one. Maybe you could try to show that as much as we try to get to that perfection we almost never are happy. Their is always something to improve, like drawing more lines on the After so show that they weren't happy with the results. But I really like this picture. You did an awesome job with portraying peoples obsession with perfection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judith:
    It kind of reminds me of daVinci's vetruvian man. I 'm glad to see you challenged yourself not only in using the liquify filter, but also having the guts to shoot yourself in a more vulnerable state. Think about display: transparency on a mirror, so viewers can also see and critique themselves? Or what if you created an image that had all those marks so pepole can see what changes can be made in their faces?

    ReplyDelete